Avoid Houseplants Toxic To Your Furry Friends!

We all know indoor plants do a great job of purifying the air within our home and sprucing up the interior. But these plants may do more harm than good if you have pets. An astonishing amount of indoor and outdoor plants are harmful to your pets.

You need to be vigilant and keep your house and garden pet-friendly by either keeping these toxic plants out of your home or choosing pet-friendly indoor plants, even though some are more harmful than others.

Plants Toxic To Furry Friends

  • Aloe vera

Excellent for sunburn but not suitable for cats or dogs. Anthraquinone glycosides, which are purgatives found in aloe vera plants, can cause vomiting and diarrhea when consumed.

  • Peace Lily 

Your pets may not find any peace from this plant. Instead, it may cause nausea, mouth pain, drooling, and appetite loss. Easter, Asiatic, Japanese display, and Tiger lilies are among the other hazardous types of lilies.

  • Jade Plant 

Jade, also known as crassula ovata, is a rubber plant well-known for being difficult to kill and having a lifespan of up to 100 years. It is harmful to pets, though it is unclear precisely what the dangerous substances are. In addition to a more difficult-to-diagnose condition called depression, jade plants can cause vomiting and a slow heartbeat if consumed by furry pals.

  • ZZ Plant

The ZZ plant is popular because it can survive in low-light conditions but can give dogs unpleasant symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. The plant also includes calcium oxalate crystals. Thus, risks include respiratory problems, mouth and throat discomfort, and swelling.

  • Chinese Evergreen

The symptoms of ingesting this poisonous plant include pawing at the face, foaming in the mouth, and vomiting. Keep an eye on their face since severe mouth swelling may also occur, making it difficult for them to breathe and swallow.

  • Sago Palm

These plants are harmful to your pets as they have cycasin, a chemical that leads to liver failure. Ingesting any plant part can be fatal for your pet if immediate treatment is not provided. Call your vet if you doubt that your pet has ingested it.

  • Daffodil

These stunning white and yellow flowers are a sign of spring. However, consuming any plant portion can result in severe vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, and dizziness.

To Conclude:

You can transform the dull corners of your home into a lively space with aesthetic plants in a jiffy. But no matter how green-thumbed you are, some plants are poisonous to pets! Avoid these poisonous houseplants to keep your cats and dogs safe when choosing greenery to decorate your environment. Take your pet to an animal hospital for immediate pet medical attention if you observe signs of poisoning from house plants. Next time, choose your house plants wisely when you have pets! For more information regarding animal doctors in Delhi or veterinary hospitals in Delhi, contact DCC Animal Hospital.

Avatar

Author: Grace